Garage band is a powerful software use on Macs. It helps the users to create soundtracks for music, movies, and podcasts. It is easy to use and great for beginners and professionals.
Garageband is simple but produces professional-quality sound. It feels comfortable to use. Since garage band is so simple, some of the tools are hidden. You have to search a little to get all the tools that you need to make better music.
Garageband can do so much like it has the musical instruments of a symphony orchestra. It is useful for filmmakers to make simple but effective film scores for their pictures. When you start to use GarageBand, you want to use all the features in the program, but don’t.
Garage band comes with pre-recorded music files called apple loops. They can be accessed on the Loop Browser. The audio loops are great for creating songs and background music for event video and multimedia. The Apple audio Loops are not good for the filmmakers who want to have dramatic productions, don’t use the apple audio loops for now.
Apple also has MIDI loops that are good; they can be modified. You can’t change the notes of the audio loops.
Garage band will allow you to record audio using a microphone. Therefore, you can record a person playing real musical instruments as you watch the movie.
However, virtual software instruments are easier to use for filmmakers. Therefore, it is ideal to start using software instruments than the musical instruments which may require a microphone in a quiet room.
Garage band has various basic tools for musicians, but, you don’t need them all to create musical sound effects. You ignore the tempo, the key, and time signature.
The most useful features of Garageband
Garage band allows the use of a computer keyboard as a substitute for MIDI keyboard. Professional musicians don’t use this because it is not velocity-sensitive, but it is ideal for filmmakers.
To use the musical typing keyboard, pick it from the menu. When it appears on the screen, you can use a Macintosh keyboard as a piano.
- Check the two keys named velocity. You can use them to adjust the velocity. Later you can use the note editor to adjust the velocity.
- Find out two keys that move up or down on the Octave. The keys will be using a lot to change the pitch.
- The tab key is used as the sustain pedal of the piano. This will offer interesting sounds to improve the music.
Volume and velocity
- Velocity is much like the volume. When velocity is increased, the sound will get louder. And when velocity is reduced, the sound will also decrease and get softer. Therefore, most people assume that volume and velocity are the same, but they are not the same. In the Lam Pack: Symphony Orchestra, when the velocity is increased, volume gets louder, and the sound has stronger sound. An example is a guitar. The musical instruments in the Boldt packages have one type of sound at all velocities.
- You can use the pencil tool to add notes on the timeline at the bottom of the screen. But, there are a few things that you should understand before using the pencil tool. You can only draw notes in a region. When you pick the pencil tool, garage band cannot create the region automatically for you. You need to click in the track while holding the command key down to create the region. After creating the region, draw a note which you can paste, copy, cut, stretch, adjust, or move as you want.
Working with computer programs
- When you begin using a program like Garageband, it may not work the way you want. Even though it is easy to use, it may work in strange ways sometimes. The best solution is to learn how programmers prefer working. If you get lost, ask yourself what an expert could do in such a situation. Once you understand how it works, GarageBand becomes easy and simple to use, and you will enjoy using it.
How to make an audio recording with Garageband
Garageband changed the way Mac users create and perform their music when it was launched in 2004 in the iLife suite programs. The capabilities of GarageBand range from recording various tracks of audio using filters that simulate the sampled instruments to simple recordings. The GarageBand files can be exported in different formats and shared in a podcast, with iPhone, iPad, or iPod and sent through the email or streamed over the internet.
- Plug an external microphone into the right audio input port on Mac. Plug the headphones in the headphone jack and put them on.
- Launch the GarageBand and choose ‘preferences’ from the main menu. Click the MIDI/audio tab and click the pull-down menu next to the ‘audio input’ and select ‘line in.’
- Click on ‘add track’ button at the left bottom corner; it is indicated as “+” or select ‘track’ and then ‘new track’ from the menu. Click on the ‘real instrument’ track option, and then click ‘create’ to make a recording of a sound like a guitar, or any instrument that can be captured by a microphone.
- To set volume, adjust the ‘recording level’ slider at the bottom of the interface. Speak into the microphone and watch the levels to make sure that the sound is captured.
- Move the white playhead to the timeline where you want the recording to start. Click the red record button and speak or sing into the microphone, then press the record button again to stop recording.
- Review the recording by moving the playhead to where you recorded the audio and press spacebar to play the recording. Click the spacebar to stop playing the recording.
- Save the recording project by naming it under the file menu. That is it.
How to edit songs
- Do you have a song that you want to edit? Garageband offers a free environment for mac OS users to edit their audios. If the device came from Apple, it should have GarageBand updated. If not, you can download it.
- Open the GarageBand app, and you’ll see a few options. To edit preexisting tunes, ‘empty project’ is recommended. Others include audio presets which are meant to improve the recording of projects in progress. For example, the Voice setting will apply ‘bright vocals’ effect to any audio that lands in the track. The unaware user may be frustrated when the recording does not sound natural.
- Start with a blank slate even if you are recording, it is important to start with ‘empty project.’
- You will also come across another option, the instrument choice. Since you already have recorded audio, use the basic ‘microphone’ option. Then click ‘create.’
- If you would like to record something, choose the instrument that you want. Using a guitar or another instrument may need specific cords to interface with your computer, but can get the best audio quality than a USB microphone.
- Into Garageband
- Go to the creator environment, if it is too packed, continue to the top-left buttons and click ‘folders.’ This will remove the sound settings which are at the far left bar. These settings add a new audio track with different sound qualities.
- Click the ‘knob’ icon to reduce EQ bar, which is at the bottom of the picture. EQ means equalization, and it will allow you to alter music frequencies and filters.
- If you want to add more tracks, click on ‘new Tracks’ button and a new track will appear.
- Working with more tracks may be a little bit difficult. You can click the noise cancellation button to silence one track and make listening easier. You can also use the volume knob to adjust the output of one section, and then right or left adjuster to place the selected track to one side.
- Lastly, drag and drop the audio files into the Garageband window, and you are ready for business.
- Some of the most useful tools include audio manipulation, cursor, volume adjustment, and EQ.
- Before you export, ensure that the song ends where you want. A small arrow delineates where the export will end. In most cases, this will land too far to the right. Be careful if you don’t want the export to end too soon or late. Pick the arrow and drag it right or left. Let go to set the ending in the position you select.
- Check the share button at the top of the screen. ‘Export song to disk’ is recommended, this will create an mp3 file on the desktop or within a folder on the computer. You can perform all other actions from there. You can choose to place it in an email, burn a CD, or place it on iTunes.
If you are planning to record and create original music with GarageBand, there are so many things that you need to learn. But you don’t need an engineer on the background to appreciate the convenience of recording or editing music. Whether you are recording or deleting an organ solo should not worry you. Learn how to use GarageBand effectively, obey the laws, and have fun making your music better.