If you have played VRChat, you may have noticed that some players use custom sound effects. The use of music in VRChat can be achieved in three ways.
Use of a physical microphone to record an audio
This method is easy and simple. You can try and set up a way for the microphone to hear the speakers, and the quality may not be so good.
Using audio avatars
This will limit you to specific sounds, and it needs more work. Most people find it annoying because it is repetitive and maybe loud, and this may cause them to block you or the audio may be blocked for all the avatars. This may be triggered quite often accidentally.
Feeding audio from directly into VRChat from the computer
This is the best method that you can try. It is done in different ways.
- To play the music that you only have a file for, the best way is to use something like Soundpad. Soundpad will help you to select the specific file you want to play and create favorites and hotkeys to get the sound effect that you want. You can get the sound pad from the developer’s website.
- If you want to play audio from YouTube or you don’t want to spend money on other programs like a sound pad, you can use Voicemeeter Banana.
- The voicemeeter Banana is a program that acts to be an actual microphone so that it is fed with audio. It can input the audio into other programs like VRChat pretending to be a microphone. It can also act as a speaker, and you can listen to the audio yourself.
- To do this, the voicemeeter installs a speaker and microphone on the computer. All you need to do is to download the program and install it.
- The voicemeeter program can be used to input audio into other programs like Teamspeak, Skype, and Discord. Go to the programs and select Cable Output as a microphone. You can also set it as a default microphone in the sounds control panel.