Looking for a great audio interface to rock it on stage, are you? Well, look for no further as I’ve looked up the best audio Interface for live performance that I know will work out great for your live performance. We all got to get a little excited every now and then when it comes to the live shows on stage and I understand the hustle of looking for the best device that will surely work best for you, is to you liking and isn’t to complex to handle. Knowing that you and I both are on the same page with the same interests in mind, if you read further you will find out the top five picks of the popular and trending audio interfaces that will undeniably be ideal for you. Why don’t we get started then? Great.
- 1 Audio interface tips/guidelines to selecting the one ideal for Live Performance:
- 2 Top 5 Best Audio Interface for Live Performance:
- 3 Top 5 Best Audio Interface for Live Performance Reviewed
- 4 1. Steinberg UR22MKII
- 5 2. RME BabyFace PRO – Editor’s Choice
- 6 3. iConnectAUDIO4+
- 7 4. RME Fireface UC
- 8 5. Zoom UAC-8
- 9 Conclusion/Recommendations:
Audio interface tips/guidelines to selecting the one ideal for Live Performance:
Firstly, before we go any further, let’s have a look at the few things to consider about the audio interface to pick. I know you probably know most of this stuff, so I needn’t waste much time here so let’s have a look, shall we?
- Make sure to select the appropriate audio interface system for use, what do you need it for? In this case, it’s for Live performance. Take your best pick!
- Input/output connectivity. Get the one suiting best your desires of connections needed. Ideal input/out connections: 2-line outputs or 4 – 6-line outputs or 8-line outputs or 16+ line outputs, the number depending on the type of audio interface you are using.
- The audio interface for live performance must have stable and reliable driver performance.
- Sound quality; it should have High-quality hardware thus giving clarity of sound. Get the one making your show a great memorable experience.
- Software compatibility. If its Windows or Mac or any of the sort, get the one working best for you.
- Portability. Obviously, you would be invited to different stages to perform your gigs, so you better not settle for one giving you an extra load in a carriage.
- The audio interface must be of a durable and strong chassis construction.
- The audio interface must have extremely low latency.
Okay! I think that ought to do! Now, let us have a look at the best live performance audio interfaces available on market today.
Top 5 Best Audio Interface for Live Performance:
Now, let’s have a look at each one of them, shall we?
Top 5 Best Audio Interface for Live Performance Reviewed
The Steinberg UR22MKII one of the best audio interface devices under $150 is a great deal for your live performance, the device having a built-in MIDI I/O a feature useful when connecting your controller over MIDI instead of USB. The UR22MKII is a two-in, two-out bus-powered by USB 2 audio interface from Steinberg featuring same Yamaha D-Preamplifiers used in the more expensive UR/MR-series units and Yamaha’s N-series mixers. It offers sample rates of up to 192kHz, a robust device having a front panel housing the two-combination mic/line inputs and monitor controls, with preamps having simple controls comprising gain and switch for toggling input 2 between line and instrument level. The UR22MKII has iPad/iPhone connectivity options, high quality Neutrik branded XLR/TRS analog front inputs, peak LEDs advising when input signals are too hot, also a Hi-Z switch combining with the second input allowing for direct recording of bass or guitar. More to say is that on the device’s front you will also find a standard ¼ inches headphone jack with independent volume control, an output level knob as well as a mix knob for the adjustment of the signal level balance between the signal from the Analog input jacks and the signal from your system. Further to say, for the UR22MKII has more than enough outputs for pushing your studio monitors to the limit, you are able to get high quality recording of vocals through the dynamic and condenser mics, whilst recording of electric guitars, through the second input with the Hi-Z switch on, proves to make your live studio performance truly awesome!
- Steinberg UR22MKII, Guitar Amp Classics, Sweet Spot Morphing Channel Strip, REV-X reverb, D-PRE microphone preamps, 2 x 2 USB 2.0 audio interface, 24-Bit/192 kHz & Two Class-A D-PRE mic preamps, Cubase AI and Cubasis LE included.
- It is compatible with all major audio editing, mastering, and music production software, has MID input/output & iPad connectivity, system requirements: Mac OS X 10.7/10.8/10.9/10.10/10.11 as well as Windows 7 SP1/8/8.1/10. Make use of the User Guide before use.
- Steinberg UR22MKII with weight of 3.4 pounds, dimensions of 8 x 9.2 x 4 inches, powered by 1 Lithium ion batteries, colour name of Silver, USB 2.0 Hardware Interface, SIMM Computer Memory Type, 1 Processor Count, voltage of 240.
- Affordable Audio Interface for live performance.
- Has Robust Chassis design.
- It supports up to 192 kHz sample rate.
- Has both iOS and Windows compatibility.
- Great sound production.
- Its Cubase AI activation process issue.
2. RME BabyFace PRO – Editor’s Choice
On number two on my list is the EME Babyface Pro, an ideal and exceptional audio interface great for live gigs, a unit having MIDI I/O available via a breakout cable, with Channel expansion being possible via 8-channel ADAT. With the RME Babyface Pro, it’s a reliable unit for it freeing you of the worry of using the external power supply, allowing you to easily record with no need of searching for a power outlet. It also relieves you of the need of extra cables when traveling thus making ease of recording. As it stands, the RME Babyface Pro being 192 kHz USB Bus-Powered Audio Interface makes ease for you to not only record and broadcast sound but also allows you to make minor volume, clarity and overall tone of your music adjustments giving you no problem with high-quality performance when on stage. The Babyface Pro’s packaging is sleek, the unit being presented in a fabric pouch sitting firmly in a hard-plastic case containing USB and MIDI breakout cables, and for being portable, the Babyface Pro is intended as a microphone-style travel case for the device’s demure dimensions making porting easy. Also, in the package be sure to find a driver CD (Firstly downloading the latest driver from RME’s website of course) as well as a German and English printed Manual. The Babyface Pro for your benefits has some professional features such as headphone outputs with plenty of room, many parallel deck dockets, and superb, pristine sonic results with any headphone you use gives you more reasons to settle for this device that will make your live gigs amazing! This is the editor’s choice for the best audio Interface for live performance.
- RME Babyface Pro, has efficient design- making it almost never to require an external power supply—is perfectly stable on USB 3 bus power, also most USB 2 ports, with no degradation in any technical specifications.
- It’s ideal for mobile recording, even with a pair of your favourite condenser microphones, having a comprehensive feature set continuing with an optical Toslink I/O; used as either an ADAT port with smux support or SPDIF for sessions up to 192 kHz.
- RME Babyface Pro with dimensions of 4.2 x 7.1 x 1.4 inches, weight of 1.5 pounds, shipping weight of 3.7 pounds, of RME manufacturers, ASIN B00XU0DYLE, manufacturer RME BABYFACE PRO.
- Has 12 outputs as well as 12 inputs, offers great live performance.
- Recording on the go with no extra use of equipment.
- Easy to use.
- Easily portable.
- Comes with driver CD and English and German Manual.
- Challenges in dealing with noise levels and if noise and crackling in recording isn’t dealt with, there’s failure in creating high-quality recordings needed.
- Buttons usually need to be pressed hard to make the audio interface respond.
The iConnectivity iConnectAudio4+ is yet another ideal and great deal audio interface for your live performance comprising of great audio and MIDI capabilities saving as a bridge between iOS recording and desktop recording systems. Boasting of the possibility of connecting and recording up to two devices at once, the iConnectAudio4+ is a reliable device that keeps things digital in the digital domain by transmitting the converted signal to your computer, one whose simultaneous connection allows you to connect in any combination of Mac, PC or iOS product, the latter being supported via a supplied Lightning connector cable. As it stands, the device is a great sounding as well as highly flexible audio interface which besides having built-in MIDI I/O it’s iConfig software also allows for complex audio and MIDI routing that isn’t available on any other audio interface in this price range. More to say is that this real panel on the iConnectAudio4+ has lots of features you won’t find anywhere such as the two USB-B ports allowing you to connect the audio interface to two different hosts, as already explained, making it even possible route between the two devices, also explained. Additionally, there’s a USB-A port for connecting external MIDI interfaces and peripherals, its front panel offers a provision of four mic pres via combi ports, with inputs 1-2 doubling as Hi-Z inputs and inputs 3-4 offering line level connection capabilities. On the right of the interface, a panel shows inputs, phantom power status, the device, at first glance, appearing to provide visual feedback alone. The iConnectAudio4+ has impressively low-latency, audio configurations up to 24-bit/96khZ and many more features making it a great product to opt for.
- iConnectivity iConnectAudio4+, has Multi-host Device ports-enables you to use up to 2 computer devices (Mac/PC/iOS) at a go and route Audio and MIDI passThru routes audio digitally between them.
- It has high-resolution audio up to 24-bit/96kHz AD/DA conversion, 4 XLR- ¼ inches TRS combo Analog inputs with ultra-premium microphone preamplifiers with 48V phantom power +6x independently routable Analog outputs.
- Extreme MIDI connectivity with 29 routable MIDI ports: -1x Host port, connecting up to 8 MIDI peripherals to iOS, Mac & PC computing devices, standalone computer-less operation-mix/merge audio and host 5 pin DIN + USB class compliant MIDI.
- In the box there’s the iConnectAudio4+ MIDI interface, 1 Lightning-to-iConnectivity USB-B inline connection cable for iOS device that uses this connector, 1 USB-A to USB-B cable to connect the interface to a Mac or PC computer and one 12V/3A (36W) centre positive iConnectAudio4+ power supply.
- iConnectivity iConnectivityAudio4+ of weight 3 pounds, dimensions of 9.5 x 3.2 x 11.7 inches, icaudio-04 model number, MultiColored, Ethernet Hardware Interface.
- Enables connection and recording up to two devices at a go.
- Is a great bridge between iOS recording and expanded capabilities of desktop recording.
- Has superb audio and MIDI capabilities.
- Keeps things in the digital domain by transmitting the converted signal to your computer.
- Has low-latency, audio configurations up to 24-bit/96kHz.
- Found none.
The RME Fireface UC, another truly great deal live performance audio interface featuring plenty of inputs/outputs, has good audio quality, its top half showing clearly the inputs, levels, and whether the channel is clipping or not. The device is a professional audio interface comprising of six-line outputs, it’s a compact form factor, for two Fireface UC units can be mounted into a 1U rack space side by side, having super low latency performance making it a popular audio interface for your live performance gigs. The Fireface has a rear panel jam-packed with connectors and ports, features MIDI I/O via a breakout cable, word clock for syncing, and various digital connectivity options. Using the LED lights, the RME Fireface shows you the inputs and outputs you are using and whether phantom power is engaged. On all the inputs and outputs, both for the digital and the Analog, the device has sample rates up to 192kHz giving you the highest possible audio quality you can get. The device has low-latencies during recording and playback, regardless of the operating system be it Mac or Windows, has phantom power, the inputs backed by two mic preamps heightening quality even more. The bottom half of the device has an ON/OFF switch, with all the inputs labelled clearly for ease of use, its brackets for securing to your studio’s interface board are one of the many features the device has giving you many more reasons to settle for it!
- RME Fireface UC is a USB 2.0 High-Speed Audio Interface, 24 Bit/192kHz, 36-channel, has sample rates of up to 192 kHz on all I/Os, including 2 ADAT channels with SMUX4, two digitally controlled mic preamps in high-end quality.
- Has two balanced universal inputs for both line and instrument signals with digitally controlled input stage, individually switchable 48V phantom power, as well as Neutrik Combo connectors for XLR and TRS.
- It has Enhanced standalone operation with rotary encoder and front panel displayTotal, integrated DSP mixer Analog I/O Digital I/O Steady Clock for maximum jitter suppression and clock refresh.
- RME Fireface UC weight 4.8 pounds and shipping weight of 4.9 pounds, dimensions of 14 x 8 x 4 inches, of the music, instruments and instrument accessories’ department, manufactured by Synthax, Inc. Its ASIN is B002N12DM2, manufacturer reference RE-FFUC shipped only with the US and to APO/FPO addresses and only internationally shipped to select countries outside the US.
- Nice slim modern design
- Easy to setup
- Fairly priced
- Ideal audio interface for live performance
- Found Non
5. Zoom UAC-8
The Zoom UAC-8 is my fifth pick of the great deal live audio interface, which comprises of an all-metal design and high-quality conversion much like another of the models, the UAC-2, and is rack-mountable in a 1U rack space. A lovable device is the UAC-8 of Zoom that works well with iPad as well as both PC and Mac, one that is of a sleek design, comprising of a range of connections as well as super-fast data transfer making it truly a great device for working with when performing your live gig. To capture the full sound when using drums, eight microphones can be used at a go, something not easy on other USB interfaces that usually often limited to two or four simultaneous inputs but the range of connections the UAC-8 offers makes it a very viable solution as a standalone unit, or as part of a greater system with additional hardware and peripherals.
The UAC-8 comprises of a USB 3.0/2.0, 18 Input/20 Output, 8 XLR/TRS Combo Inputs, Phantom Power, Digital I/O w/ADAT,S /SPDIF, & Word Clock, Direct Monitoring Switch, MIDI I/O, 24-Bit/192kHz Resolution with the inclusion of Cubase LE Software as well. More to say is that the UAC-8 comprising 8 combination XLR/TRS connections on its front panel allows you to run 8 microphones or line level input at once from the one unit, whilst its rear having eight-line level outputs are supplied along with a main output pair for monitoring. Further to say, if you perhaps need expansion, the unit has both MIDI in and out, Word Clock, SP/DIF and ADAT connections, all already explained, thus making a great base for building a larger setup. So, what’s to worry, go get your hands on the UAC-8 now!
- Zoom UAC-8 USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Audio Interface for Mac and Pc, Complete connectivity, Enhanced software functionality, Communications central.
- It has 8-in/10-out Analog, 18-in/20-out digital USB 3.0 Super Speed audio interface, recording up to 24-bit/192kHz, it includes MIDI I/O and word clock, ADAT and S/PDIF digital in/out as well as with Zoom MixEfx software mixer included, compatibility with Mac and Windows.
- Zoom UAC-8 of weight 5.3 pounds, dimensions of 19 x 5.1 x 1.8 inches, colour of black, USB 2.0 and 3.0 equipped computers iPads compatibility, PCI Hardware Interface.
- Great audio interface for live performance.
- Comprises of 8 microphones preamps on one rack unit.
- Mac and Windows Compatibility.
- Is an iPad Class Compliant.
- MIDI, SP/DIF, ADAT and Word Clock are all accounted for.
- Has great latency response with high sampling rates.
- It has touchy gain controls having delicate knobs.
Okay! That should do! Those are the top five I picked for you and out of the five, I will recommend three. First up is the Steinberg UR22MKII which is up for grabs at a convenience price range for you, so you can go for it. Number two is the RME Babyface Pro for its ease of use and portability working well will you and number three is the RME Fireface UC, though rather expensive it may be, I can assure you that it’s truly worth your money! Hurry up and pick the best audio Interface for live performance today!